Principal Life builds employer-paid, voluntary and self-funded short-term disability (STD) solutions. Our flexible, unbundled products offer numerous benefit designs, with a variety of benefit percentages, maximums, benefit durations and elimination periods. An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all employees covered by group employer-paid or voluntary STD.*
Advantages of disability insurance from Principal Life:
- *Or* definition of disability allows employees who aren’t totally disabled to qualify for benefits.
- Evaluation of disability is based on the employee’s job, not occupation. Learn how this benefits employees.
- Immediate impact of a disability is recognized. Unable to earn 80% of income details.
- An industry leader in claim service, we have an in-house claim management team and return-to-work consultants. Learn how we get employees back to work.
- Single form for short- and long-term disability claims.
We offer employer-paid coverage for groups with as few as three lives, and voluntary coverage for groups with as few as five lives. Availability of options may vary by state.
*Not available for policies issued in New York.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Available with employer-paid or voluntary disability insurance, an EAP helps employees and their dependents cope with life's everyday, and not so everyday, challenges. In addition, it provides support to employers with workplace issues such as work relationship conflicts and stress management.
The EAP offers three service levels: Core, Enhanced, and Premier. Compare details of three service levels.
The EAP is not part of the coverage and may be changed or discontinued at any time.
W-2 & FICA Tax Services
Available to all group disability insurance customers, clients can use our W-2 preparation and FICA services for no additional charge. Get the details about these services.
Valuable discounts are available to customers with group dental, disability, life, vision, critical illness and/or accident coverage. These discounts are not insurance.
- Laser Vision Correction1 - Savings on the surgery through the National Lasik Network, administered by LCA-Vision, Inc.
- Hearing Aid Programs - Through American Hearing Benefits, Inc. (AHB) and Ear Professionals International Corporation (EPIC), employees and their families are eligible for up to 60% off hearing aids.
- Vision Care1,2 - Discounts on LASIK surgery, eye exams, prescription glasses and lens options, as well as contact lens evaluations and fittings through VSP. Available with insured dental and/or vision coverage.
1Not available with managed care vision.
2Not available with self-funded coverage.
Discounts and services are not part of the coverage and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Principal Life is not liable for products and services provided by third parties.
Key materials listed below.
Group Disability - Marketing Guide (GP53704)
Comprehensive overview of traditional and voluntary short-term and long-term disability products.
Key materials listed below.
Group Disability - Overview (GP53705)
Easily identifies employers’ options for disability coverage, and the choices within each option.
Group Disability - Contract Details (GP60606)
Definitions of LTD, STD Own Job, income loss and extended earnings.