Hear from our compassionate claims team
New video tells claims storyWatch now
Principal Life strives to make the claim process quick and easy. Our customer satisfaction scores1 speak to our commitment to service:
- 97% were satisfied with claims services. (Median score of 97% since 2010)
- 97% were satisfied with receiving benefits promptly.
- 98% were satisfied with the accuracy of the benefit payments.
We achieve these results with a team approach and a customer focus.
Learn more about the impact of a disability claim from these real-life testimonials.
- 1Source: Principal Life 2014 Individual Disability Income Claimant Satisfaction Survey.
Make sure your clients have the forms they need to submit a disability claim.
- Disability Claim Notice (KK458) (includes a HIPAA authorization form) - needs to be completed by the client. It provides us with information about the disability and other related information.
- Attending Physician’s Statement (KK376) (for non-psychiatric and/or non-substance abuse claims) - needs to be completed by the health care provider that is treating the client for the disabling medical condition. If there are multiple doctors, each should receive a form.
- Psychiatric Questionnaire (KK254) (for psychiatric and/or substance abuse claims) - needs to be completed by the health care provider that is treating the client for the disabling medical condition. If there are multiple doctors, each should receive a form.
- Insured Supplemental Statement (KK257) (for psychiatric and/or substance abuse claims) - needs to be completed by the client.
To begin the claim process, notification regarding the claim (from the client) must occur.
Step 1: Claim Notification
Clients can notify Principal Life regarding a claim in the following ways:
7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT (Voice mail after 5 p.m.)
|Principal Life Insurance Company
Ind. Disability Insurance - Claims
750 Park St.
Des Moines, IA 50392-0410
Step 2: Completion of Claims Forms
Clients may access the necessary forms on www.principal.com. Or, within 48 hours of receiving the claim notification, we will mail the forms to the client.
You can also share the necessary forms with clients.
Step 3: Claims Analyst Assigned
The claims analyst:
- Is the client’s one point of contact throughout the claims process
- Communicates with the client
- Reviews the claim and arrives at a decision
- Provides ongoing review and service once the claim is approved
The client's producer is notified via email when a claim is received.
Step 4: Claim Reviewed and Decision Communicated
Throughout the process, the claims analyst keeps the client informed and indicates if additional information is needed. Expertise from professionals such as CPAs, medical reviewers, Social Security experts, etc. may also be used during the claim review. Once the claim decision is reached, the client is contacted.
Once approved for benefits, Principal Life periodically obtains validation that the client continues to qualify. The frequency of updates is determined on a case-by-case basis.
For producer use only. Not intended for use in sales situations or with the general public. Disability insurance has limitations and exclusions.