Selecting investment options for a retirement plan is one of the most important tasks of a plan fiduciary. The Principal Financial Group® makes available a comprehensive and extensive set of choices. This flexibility can help you and your client build an investment lineup that meets the needs of the plan and its participants.
When you work with Principal®, you benefit from our outcome-based retirement investment expertise through:
- Access to institutional-quality1 investment options through global investment management
- Streamlined investing for participants thanks to our asset allocation expertise
- Recognized retirement leadership2 backing a retirement-focused investment platform
1Sub-advisors for Principal investment options are selected using our proprietary due diligence process that provides a rigorous and disciplined framework for identifying, hiring, and retaining premier investment managers within each asset class and investment style. It is characterized by the comprehensive and continuous review of all investment managers based on our specific investment guidelines.
2Based on rankings for: Defined Benefit: No. 1 for total number of clients, PLANSPONSOR DB Administration survey, May 2015; Nonqualified: Among leading providers of nonqualified deferred compensation plans, 2015 PLANSPONSOR Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Buyer's Guide, July 2015.
- Registered and non-registered investment products
- More than 85 sub-advised investment options managed by 50 institutional-quality managers1 (Sub-Advised Investment Options)
- More than 4,500 outside mutual funds2 (Mutual Fund Network)
- Among the most comprehensive set of asset allocation choices in the industry
- Investment fiduciary support and services
1As of 3/31/2017
2As of 12/31/2016
Our investment platform has four main components:
- Sub-Advised Investment Options. Sub-Advised Investment Options are the foundation of our investment platform because we design them specifically for retirement plans. They cover a wide range of asset classes and focus on long-term growth, paying special attention to the amount of risk taken for the potential returns. We have more than 85 Sub-Advised Investment Options managed by 50 institutional-quality managers1,2,3.
- Asset Allocation Choices. We have created one of the most comprehensive range of asset allocation choices in the industry. It includes:
- Two sets of target date investment options
- Target risk investment options
- Combined target date and risk asset allocation models
- Independent investment advisory services
- Mutual Fund Network. This is a vast menu of investment choices featuring more than 4,500 outside mutual funds from over 215 fund families4.
- Fixed Income Investment Options. Our spectrum of Fixed Income Investment Options includes Market Value, Guaranteed Interest5 and Stable Value investment options, each with unique characteristics to help meet a variety of plan goals.
About Target Date investment options:
Target date portfolios are managed toward a particular target date, or the approximate date the investor is expected to start withdrawing money from the portfolio. As each target date portfolio approaches its target date, the investment mix becomes more conservative by increasing exposure to generally more conservative investments and reducing exposure to typically more aggressive investments. Neither the principal nor the underlying assets of target date portfolios are guaranteed at any time, including the target date. Investment risk remains at all times. Neither asset allocation nor diversification can assure a profit or protect against a loss in down markets. Be sure to see the relevant prospectus or offering document for full discussion of a target date investment option including determination of when the portfolio achieves its most conservative allocation.
1Principal Separate Accounts are made available by Principal Life Insurance Company; Sub-Advised Mutual Funds are made available by Principal Funds, Inc.
2Sub-advisors for Principal® investment options are selected using our proprietary due diligence process that provides a rigorous and disciplined framework for identifying, hiring, and retaining premier investment managers within each asset class and investment style. It is characterized by the comprehensive and continuous review of all investment managers based on our specific investment guidelines.
3As of 3/31/2017
4As of 12/31/2016
5Guarantees are supported by the General Account of Principal Life, but participants do not participate in the investment experience or performance of the General Account.
No investment strategy, such as diversification or asset allocation can guarantee a profit or protect against loss in periods of declining value
Investors should carefully consider a mutual fund’s investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses prior to investing. A prospectus, or summary prospectus if available, containing this and other information can be obtained by contacting a financial professional, visiting principal.com, or calling (800) 547-7754. Read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Insurance products and plan administrative services are provided by Principal Life Insurance Company. Principal Funds, Inc. is distributed by Principal Funds Distributor, Inc. Securities are offered through Principal Securities Inc., (800) 547-7754, Member SIPC and/or independent broker/dealers. Principal Funds Distributor, Principal Securities and Principal Life are members of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, IA 50392. Investment options may not be available in all states or U.S. commonwealths. Separate Accounts are available through a group annuity contract with Principal Life Insurance Company. See the group annuity contract for the full name of the Separate Account. Principal Life Insurance Company reserves the right to defer payments or transfers from Principal Life Separate Accounts as permitted by the group annuity contracts providing access to the Separate Accounts or as required by applicable law. Such deferment will be based on factors that may include situations such as: unstable or disorderly financial markets; investment conditions which do not allow for orderly investment transactions; or investment, liquidity, and other risks inherent in real estate (such as those associated with general and local economic conditions). If you elect to allocate funds to a Separate Account, you may not be able to immediately withdraw them.
For our Sub-Advised Investment Options, Principal Life provides support to cover the following fiduciary concerns:
- Qualified Default Investment Alternatives (QDIA)
- Prudent monitoring and selection
We make available optional 3(21) and 3(38) fiduciary services provided separately by Wilshire Associates Incorporated (“Wilshire®”) – an independent third-party firm – for which Wilshire agrees to act as a fiduciary to your plan.
Wilshire® is a registered service mark of Wilshire Associates Incorporated, Santa Monica, California. All other trade names, trademarks, and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.
Wilshire is not an affiliate of any member company of the Principal Financial Group®.
Principal Life does not act as an ERISA 3(21) or 3(38) fiduciary under the Wilshire-provided fiduciary services.
Here are our core investment platform marketing materials.
Investment Fiduciary Support and Services (PQ10428)
This brochure describes the investment fiduciary support and services available for a retirement plan at Principal.
Fixed Income Investment Options (PQ8614)
This brochure discusses the role of fixed income in a retirement plan lineup and provides details about the investment options available.
Flexible Asset Allocation Choices (PQ10004C)
This brochure provides detailed information about the asset allocation choices available.