Keep sales on the fast track with TeleApp
Get real traction by working with a carrier that understands your needs.Learn more now
Disability Insurance Underwriting
Rely on us to help get business placed quickly and seamlessly. Our underwriting professionals and case coordinators are just a phone call away at 800.654.4278.
Below are quick links to (login may be required):
New Issue & Participation (I&P) limits for DI1 – Effective Monday, February 6, 2017
We’ve recently made changes to our I&P limits for our –M occupations; changes are highlighted in blue.
|Participation with group disability|
|6A2, 5A, 4A, 3A||18-61+||$20,000||$35,000||$35,000|
1 When automatic increase riders are on a policy, the maximum I&P limits are lower.
2 The 6A occupation class is for Individual DI, including DI Retirement Security, and Disability Buy-Out insurance in approved states; not available in California. For a complete list of state approvals, visit www.principal.com/distateaprovals.
3 For adjustments on 4A-M and 3A-M policies prior to the 700 Policy Series, the issue limit remains at $10,000/month and the participation limit with other coverage is $20,000/month.
Principal Life offers a variety of tools to keep you informed regarding our underwriting guidelines.
- Pocket Underwriting Guide (JJ1042) (PDF) - shares underwriting highlights. Order a copy.
- Product and Underwriting Guide (JJ1213) - a comprehensive overview. View/Order
View the IDI Product and Underwriting Guide (JJ1213) by section (login required).
There are a variety of discounts available to help make coverage even more affordable for individual disability insurance solutions:
- Select Occupation – 10% (Available for a variety of professionals) - View details (PDF)
- Multi-Life1 – at least 20% when three or more employees with a common employer purchase coverage
- Association2 – 10% (for a formal offering, the association must be pre-approved by underwriting)
- Mental Nervous/Substance Abuse Disorder3 – Up to 10% (for Individual DI only - when required by state, program offering or product feature)
- Affiliation4,5,6 - 10% when:
- Families with at least three income earning adults that purchase DI coverage with The Principal
- Three or more 1099 contractors from the same entity or firm
- Franchise owners and key employees actively working under the same franchisor
- Spouses of employees who are part of a Principal Life multi-life case (does not require three lives)
Note: Not all discounts are available on all IDI products and may not be stackable with each other. Check state approvals.
1 - Not available for business products in Ohio.
2 - Not approved in all states and is not available for Key Person Replacement.
3 - Not available for all states for single-life policies, unless required for a certain occupation class. It is required on single and multi-life cases in a few states. It's optional on multi-life and association cases.
4 - Requires three or more individuals with a common affiliation working the same producer; not available to doctors (M.D., D.O.), physician's assistants, psychiatrists, nurses (RN or LPN), nurse practitioners, CRNAs, nurse anesthetists, medical, residence/students or other hospital/medical workers. Spouses and families can be medical professionals but cannot be 1099 contractors.
5 - Unisex in Montana; stackable with the Mental Nervous Substance Abuse Disorder Limitation rider discount and Select Occupation Discount (for 5A occupations).
6 - Not available to owners and key employees of home-based franchises, route sales franchises or investors.
TeleApp Interview – A 15-minute reflexive interview (conducted by an employee of The Principal®) asks the client insurability questions from Part B (Part II) of the application. Interviews are conducted between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. CT, Monday through Thursday, and 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT, Friday. Request an interview:*
- For Immediate Phone Interview – 888-TeleApp (888-835-3277), option 2
- Scheduled Phone Interview– 888-TeleApp (888-835-3277), option 1
- Online Scheduler (login required)
During this 15-minute, reflexive interview, an employee of The Principal asks the client insurability questions from Part B (Part II) of the application. Interviews are conducted between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. CT, Monday through Thursday, and 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT, Friday.
* When scheduling an interview, provide the following information:
- Producer name and telephone number
- Client name, Social Security number, date of birth, telephone number (and best time to call)
- Products and total benefit amounts applied for
- Signature state (the signing state)
MIB underwriting exchange review – MIB is a non-profit association that helps prevent fraud by using a confidential interchange of underwriting information among its 680+ member insurance carriers. This interchange enables MIB members to protect the interests of life and disability insurance consumers.
Any consumer who applies for life or disability insurance from Principal Life receives a brief written notice describing MIB and its functions. This notice also tells the consumer how to access and correct his or her MIB record, when needed. For additional information, visit their website.
Key materials listed below. Additional materials are available.
Benefits of a Modified DI Policy (JJ1258)
This flyer outlines the consequences of accepting and not accepting modified disability coverage.
Key materials listed below. Additional materials are available.
Product Description & Underwriting Guide booklet (JJ1213)
This booklet gives details of the underwriting guidelines for individual disability income, key person replacement, overhead expense and disability buy-out. Use -18 for printing; -19 has most recent updates
Pocket Underwriting Guidelines (JJ1042)
An overview of the key underwriting guidelines for IDI solutions from Principal Life including issue and participation limits, financial verification and medical requirements.
Tips for Better IDI Underwriting (JJ1250)
Discusses how thoroughly completing the financial, occupation and medical information on the application can help make the DI underwriting process go smoother.
Business Owner Program flier (JJ2172)
This flier outlines how we underwrite business owners different which often results in lower premium rates for them.
DI Underwriting Basics Presentation (DI9185)
For producers. This presentation provides an overview of the underwriting process for Individual Disability Income insurance.
- For specific case questions, call your New Business Case Coordinator or Underwriter
- For general inquiries: 800-654-4278, options 3,3