Dental - Self-Funded
Self-funded dental coverage complements Principal Life’s fully insured portfolio and is easy to understand.
Advantages of self-funded dental coverage from Principal Life:
- Flexible product – Comprehensive coverage allows employers to offer any level of benefits, from a base preventive-only design to a richer design that covers all services.
- Nationwide Network – Our extensive dental network has an ideal balance of size and discounts offered.
Our dental products are designed to allow you to create the ideal benefit design for both employers and employees.
- Benefit flexibility – Large range of deductibles, coinsurance and maximums.
- Provisional flexibility – Ability to move specific procedures between service categories.
Additional features and programs allow employers to customize their dental coverage with a variety of options.
- Maximum Accumulation (PDF) - Allows a portion of unused maximum to roll over to the following year.
- Additional Benefit Riders (PDF) - Adds coverage of services typically not included in a traditional dental policy: cosmetic services, dental accidents, dental implants, orthodontia, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) treatment.
- Preventive Passport (PDF) - Stretches employees’ dental benefits by encouraging routine care which doesn’t count against the annual maximum.
- Periodontal Program (PDF) - Provides additional benefits for members who are pregnant, or who have diabetes or heart disease.*
- Cancer Treatment Oral Health Program (PDF) - Provides extra care for members undergoing chemotherapy and/or head/neck radiation therapy.
- Second Opinion Program (PDF) - Ensures members receive the best advice about dental care by covering second opinions.
*Conditions may vary in Connecticut.
With 113,000+ unique dentists with multiple offices, the Principal Plan® Dental Network is one of the largest networks in the industry. It includes general practitioners, orthodontists and other dental specialists across the country and in Mexico.
To ensure a wide range of quality providers to choose from, all network providers are credentialed. This ensures providers follow proper billing and practice patterns, good claim history and standard utilization patterns.
Our dental network ranks #1 in size in many metropolitan statistical areas.*
*April 2017 Strenuus data. Strenuus is a network comparison tool of national competitors.
|Minimum Case Size|
- Tout the tax savings on self-funded dental coverage. Employers do not pay a premium tax on self-funded coverage.*
- Suggest self-funded coverage to growing businesses. Clients with as few as 50 employees are eligible for self-funded coverage.
* Principal Life is not providing legal, tax or accounting advice. Employers should consult with counsel on all matters relating to legal, tax and accounting obligations and requirements.