Disability Insurance: Get Started
This information explains how to submit Individual Disability Insurance (IDI) business with Principal Life Insurance Company. If you’re working through one of our channel partners, contact them for guidance.
TIP: Track the status of IDI cases pending in underwriting or delivery using the Pending Business Report (login required).
- Obtain a client illustration
- Confirm your client meets current underwriting guidelines.
- Obtain a state-specific application using Create Application Packet (login required).
- Meet with your client and complete Part A (Part I) of the application and obtain signature(s) for Part C (Part III).
- Schedule a 15-minute TeleApp Interview for your client (not needed for Standard Issue cases).
- Submit the:
- Deliver the policy following these guidelines.
1 Requires a username and password. If you don't have one, you can obtain one by contacting your local representative or calling 800-554-3395.
Key materials listed below. Additional materials are available.
Features and benefits of eApp (JJ2179)
Better understand what eApp can help you with.
Completing IDI Forms for New Business (JJ1874)
Provides tips on completing some IDI new business forms.
Pre-Screening Questions (JJ1249C)
A tip sheet that helps producers prepare clients for the application process and determine if they are good prospects.
DI application process client flier (JJ1296C)
Describes what applicants can expect when they apply for DI coverage. Field person can select whether the case is for a regular application or one for eAPP. Process differs slightly for each.
- For specific case questions, call your New Business Case Coordinator or Underwriter
- For general inquiries: 800-654-4278, options 3,3
Insurance from Principal® is issued by Principal National Life Insurance Company (except in New York) and Principal Life Insurance Company, 711 High Street, Des Moines, IA 50392.
DI8700-01 - 08/2018