Changes to MNSA rider add more flexibility
Beginning April 15, the Mental/Nervous & Substance Abuse (MNSA) rider1 with up to a 10% discount will be optional on individual Disability Income (DI) insurance policies from Principal®, including:
- Single-life cases (except in CA, FL, LA, NV).
- Multi-Life or association cases at the individual level, instead of employer or case levels (except in CA and for all Guaranteed Standard Issue cases).
- Policies with the Regular Occupation rider.
This change will help you customize clients’ policies based on their needs and budget.
Keep in mind
- The MNSA rider is not changing. For MNSA claims, the lifetime benefit period is 24 months.
- The illustration system will be updated with these changes April 15.
- When completing the producer report, indicate on page 2 whether or not the MNSA rider is wanted on the policy.
- The MNSA rider is required for the following occupations:
- Emergency-room physicians
- Pain-management physicians
- Nurse anesthetists
- Any resident who’s declared one of these as a specialty
- Transition guidelines:
- Ask your case coordinator to review any DI business submitted, pending or issued within the past 60 days. For all other DI policies, the MNSA rider cannot be changed.
- For the occupations/specialties listed above:
- DI applications will be accepted for up to 60 days without the MNSA rider.
- The Regular Occupation rider still requires the MNSA rider.
- Contact your case coordinator with questions.
We’re here for you
Contact your IDI wholesaling team or the DI National Sales Desk at 800-654-4278, options 2, 2.
1 The Mental/Nervous & Substance Abuse rider is not available in VT. For details, visit principal.com/distateapprovals. 10% discount for To Age 65, To Age 67 and To Age 70 benefit periods. 5% discount for 2-year and 5-year benefit periods. In TX, not available on 2-year benefit period; 3% discount with 5-year benefit period; 5% discount for all other benefit periods.
Disability insurance from Principal® is issued by Principal Life Insurance Company,
711 High Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50392
For producer information only. Not for use with consumers or the public. This summary is not a complete statement of the rights, benefits, limitations and exclusions of the coverage described here. For cost and coverage details, contact your Principal Life representative.
DI10050 | 04/2019
Back to News Home