Disability Buy-Out Insurance (California)
Disability Buy-Out (DBO) insurance helps fund the purchase of a totally disabled business owner’s interest under a buy-sell agreement. It allows remaining owners to continue the business without:
- Using business cash flow
- Obtaining loans from financial institutions
- Selling shares of the business to get working capital
The policy is conditionally renewable to age 65 with guaranteed premiums. Rates are based on unisex/gender-neutral rates.
Policy HH673 available in California only.
- Smaller businesses with 2 to 10 owners1
- Occupations classified as 3A and above
- Businesses not owned by spouses, parents and children or owners with large age differences
- Up to $20 million business value ($10 million and up, contact underwriting)
1 2 to 8 for 2A-3A/3A-M occupation classes.
- Issue ages: 18 to 57
- Occupation classes: 5A/5A-M, 4A/4A-M, 3A/3A-M, 2A
- Must own a minimum of 5% of the business; all eligible owners must apply
- Minimum years in business: One year for service professionals and three years for other business owners
- Elimination Periods: 365, 540 or 730 days
- Benefit payout: lump sum, monthly installments of 24, 36 or 60 months or a combination
- Benefit maximum: Up to $3 million (additional guidelines apply)
- Simplified underwriting for aggregrate benefit amounts up to $360,000
- Discounts: 10% Select Occupation, 20% Multi-Life1, 10% Association (in approved states)
- Riders: Benefit Update, Employment in the firm (for 5A/5A-M and 4A/4A-M occupation classes)
1 Available when three or more employees with a common employer purchase Individual Disability Insurance from the same producer. Not available on business products in Ohio.
This content is designed for use by financial professionals. Consumers may learn more about products and services on www.principal.com.
DI9936 – 10/2018