Variable Annuities from Principal
A variable annuity is an investment vehicle issued by insurance companies to help individuals save for and create income in retirement. Variable annuities operate in today’s retirement planning environment by providing retirees opportunities for accumulation and income.
During the accumulation years, variable annuities provide tax-deferred growth for individuals who want to stay invested in the market. Optional living benefit riders provide additional benefits like bonuses and protection from market risks. In addition, our Deferred Income Rider gives clients the opportunity to seamlessly transfer all or a portion of their money into a stream of guaranteed income payments, starting on the future start date of their choosing. (Subject to product availability.)
During retirement, variable annuities provide income, either through annuitization, living benefit riders or the Deferred Income Rider, helping to ensure retirees receive guaranteed income.
Variable annuity features
- Lifetime income benefits – riders that offer growth potential and provide protection from market risk, as well as bonuses prior to taking withdrawals and income for life through withdrawals. The deferred income rider provides a seamless transfer to purchase a future guaranteed income stream
- Guaranteed income – guaranteed income for life, subject to the claims-paying ability of Principal
- Tax-deferral – investment earnings grow tax deferred until they’re withdrawn
- Death benefit – protection for beneficiaries in the event of death
- Surrender charges – withdrawals in excess of free withdrawal privileges except amounts paid out at death or annuitization may be subject to surrender charges
- Fees and expenses – various fees and expenses will apply. See the prospectus for the specific variable annuity for details
Before investing in a variable annuity, investors should carefully consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses of the contract and the underlying investment options. This and other information is contained in the free prospectus, and if available, the summary prospectus which can be obtained from your local representative. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Guarantees are based on the claims-paying ability of Principal Life Insurance Company.
Contract rider descriptions are not intended to cover all restrictions, conditions or limitations. Refer to rider for full details. Riders subject to state availability and may be subject to an additional charge.
Tax-qualified retirement arrangements, such as IRAs, SEPs and SIMPLE-IRAs are tax deferred. You derive no additional benefit from the tax-deferral feature of the annuity. Consequently, an annuity should be used to fund an IRA, or other tax-qualified retirement arrangement, to benefit from the annuity's features other than tax deferral. These features may include guaranteed lifetime income, death benefits without surrender charges, guaranteed caps on fees and the ability to transfer among investment options without sales or withdrawal charges.
Not FDIC or NCUA insured. May lose value. Not a deposit. No bank or credit union guarantee. Not insured by any Federal government agency.
Variable Annuities are issued by Principal Life Insurance Company and distributed by Principal Securities, Inc, 1-800-852-4450, member SIPC and/or independent broker/dealers. Securities sold by a Principal Securities, Inc.Registered Representative are offered through Principal Securities, Inc. Principal Life and Principal Securities, Inc. are members of the Principal Financial Group,Des Moines, IA 50392.